BREAKING NEWS

Mark Hughes backs Ryan Giggs for Wales job

Jordan Henderson Wants Mohamed Salah To Continue Hot Scoring Streak

Madrid derby ends in rare stalemate at Wanda Metropolitano

News

Chris Coleman is set to be confirmed as the new Sunderland manager later on Sunday after agreeing a deal to take over at the rock-bottom Championship club.

Footage from Sky Sports appeared to show the ex-Wales boss taking first-team training less than 24 hours after the Black Cats hit a new low in a 2-2 draw with Millwall. The result made Sunderland the first team in English football history to go 20 home games without a win - and made an appointment to replace the sacked Simon Grayson a matter of urgency. Press Association Sport understands Coleman has agreed a two-and-a-half-year deal with the Black Cats, and he is expected to be officially unveiled early this week. The 47-year-old's decision to move to the north-east has come as some surprise given the reputation he built in guiding Wales to last year's European Championship semi-finals. He will take over a club whose stay-away owner Ellis Short has admitted he will listen to offers, and which is in serious danger of dropping into League One next season. Coleman's predecessor Grayson lasted just 18 games - of which he won only one - and bemoaned the fact he had not been given enough time in an interview on BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme on Sunday. Grayson said: "I suffered the consequences of not winning enough matches and not being given enough time to turn it around.

Pep Guardiola to 'completely' change Manchester City side for Feyenoord game

Pep Guardiola is planning how best to utilise his talented squad as Manchester City prepare to embark on a demanding run of fixtures. City maintained their magnificent start to the season against Leicester on Saturday with a 2-0 victory giving them an 11th win in the first 12 Premier League matches, preserving their eight-point lead at the top of the table. However, the club-record extending 16th consecutive win came at a cost as John Stones limped off with a hamstring injury that Guardiola expects to keep the central defender out for between four and six weeks. Losing Stones will put added strain on a City squad that faces 12 fixtures in all competitions during the remainder of 2017, with Benjamin Mendy already sidelined. Guardiola has told his players to be ready as he rotates the team for forthcoming games, starting with the visit of Feyenoord in the Champions League on Tuesday night. "Against Feyenoord I will change the team completely," said the City boss. "What happened with John Stones shows the calendar is so demanding and we have to rotate the team this month and we will do that game by game. "Fortunately we already qualify for the Champions League but the problem is we have a lot of games. The calendar demands so much from the players and that is why we have to have big squads to rotate because it is impossible to sustain these players every three days.

Everton chiefs split over club's next manager with Farhad Moshiri making Watford's Marco Silva his No.1 target

Everton’s hierarchy are split over the direction the club should go in following the sacking of Ronald Koeman.But major shareholder Farhad Moshiri, who holds the purse strings with his investment and who financed Koeman’s £140million summer transfer splash, wants a bigger more established name to take control. Moshiri also believes the time is right for a root and branch review of the way his club is run. Moshiri has a number of targets in his sight including former Borussia Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel , ex-Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti and Watford’s current boss Marco Silva.Silva is top of that shortlist but Moshiri knows that it will be difficult to prise the Portuguese out of Vicarage Road during the season. Silva has lifted the unfancied side into the Premier League top six and has shown his ability to manage in England’s top flight. His work at Hull City hasn’t gone unnoticed either and it’s likely that soundings about his availability wil be made.

Italian Football Federation president wants Conte to replace Ventura.

Italian Football Federation president Carlo Tavecchio has suggested Antonio Conte would be his preferred choice as national team boss. The Federazione Italiana Giuoco Calcio (FIGC) sacked Gian Piero Ventura following Italy’s failure to qualify for next summer’s World Cup and Tavecchio would like to see Chelsea boss Conte return to his former role. Conte left for Stamford Bridge after Euro 2016, but, after winning the Premier League title in his first season in west London, has been forced to deny rumours of player unrest this campaign. Gian Piero Ventura was sacked after Italy failed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 1958 (Luca Bruno/AP) Tavecchio was quoted as saying on gazzetta.it: “We are seeking the best. Allegri, Mancini, Ancelotti….these are the names, I say getting warmer. And Conte? Fire.” Juventus boss Massimiliano Allegri, Zenit St Petersburg’s former Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini and ex-Bayern Munich chief Carlo Ancelotti appear to be the other main contenders. Only Ancelotti, though, is not currently in a job. Italy lost their World Cup play-off 1-0 on aggregate to Sweden to miss out on the competition for the first time since 1958. Tavecchio laid the blame for their failure firmly at the door of Ventura, saying: “It is all the fault of Ventura, he chose the staff, he has done all of it. We as a federation have never interfered.”

West Brom sack Tony Pulis

West Brom have sacked Tony Pulis, the club has announced. The 59-year-old has left his position as head coach at the Hawthorns after just two wins in his last 21 Premier League games following Saturday's 4-0 defeat to Chelsea. Albion are just a point and a place above the relegation zone after an 11-game winless run in all competitions. Chairman John Williams told the club's official site: "These decisions are never taken lightly but always in the interests of the club," "We are in a results business and over the back end of last season and this season to date, ours have been very disappointing. "We would like to place on record our appreciation of Tony's contribution and hard work during a period of transition for the club which included a change of ownership. We wish him well in his future endeavours." Assistant head coach Gary Megson, who was manager between 2000 and 2004 and returned to the club in the summer, has been put in caretaker charge. Owner Guochuan Lai watched the Chelsea defeat after flying over from China for a pre-arranged trip and is now tasked with finding a new manager, with Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes linked to the post. Pulis replaced Alan Irvine when the Baggies were a point above the relegation zone in January 2015, eventually leading them to 13th. They finished 14th in 2015-16 and came 10th last season but failed to win any of their final nine matches. Pulis made a defence of his record before the Chelsea defeat, suggesting Albion would struggle to get a better replacement.